Faith Lutheran Church
Association of Free Lutheran Congregations

 

Homepage
Statement of Faith
Schedule
History
Pastor
Directions
Church Workers
Faith Lutheran Church was organized in 1931 in Weslaco, Texas, after Lutheran congregations in Mercedes, Alamo, and San Juan merged due to dwindling numbers. Reverend George Ruck was called to be the first pastor.
The plan was to move into the building in Mercedes: however, upon further investigation it was disclosed that in case the congregation disbanded the property deed contained a clause reverting the lot back to the city of Mercedes. In early 1932 the Mercedes building was moved to two lots donated by the city of Weslaco. The charter was granted February 1, 1934 as Faith American Lutheran Church of Weslaco, Texas, in the American Lutheran Church.
On January 1, 1944, the church became self-supporting. Faith was out of debt! The congregation continued to grow. By 1946 there was talk of expansion. Plans were made for a new Sunday School building. In July of that year, the congregation voted on plans for a new church building. After many years of suggestions and preliminary plans, it was recommended that the congregation purchase five lots between 3rd and 4th Streets. Ground breaking services were held August 4, 1957, and the present location was dedicated on March 23, 1958.
In 1988, in need of a denominational affiliation which would more closely correlate to conservative theological stance, the congregation voted to drop American from its name and join with the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations (AFLC). Presently, the congregation is smaller than in years past. The shift of ministry has been to another constituencey, the Winter Texan. Sunday morning attendance doubles during the winter months.
Church Phone: (956) 968-2342
Parsonage Phone: (956) 968-2376
Homepage / Statement of Faith / Schedule / History / Pastor / Directions / Church Workers